Friday 27 May 2016

The brain: everybody's upper hand, with a million and one uses!

Today I want to discuss something about knowledge. I'll try my best to make it engaging and unpretentious, because whenever you get a teacher saying they're trying to making learning fun, let's face it, in most cases they fail. I'm not meaning general academic knowledge or streetsmarts et cetera either; none of you need educating there, and I often resent being lectured (even though I often NEED that) anyway. I'm talking about a form of knowledge that's more intimate and doesn't seem to get very much focus from what I can see: our knowledge of ourselves, individually.

I know it's such a clich̩, but whenever you stand before a mirror, what do you REALLY see? It's much more than just your reflection or exterior. We mightn't realise it often (perhaps because we all see ourselves daily), but we really all see a person Рa life Рwe know better than anyone else at all. And I do mean anyone else at all, however many other people might know you well, or in what way.

You might be happily married long-term, or well-known publicly (or both), and indeed sometimes others pick up on traits of our which we DON'T notice or acknowledge ourselves. But at least in most cases, we are more familiar with our pasts, and more aware of what we are thinking (particularly if we're alone or in a rather quiet environment), than anybody else. All emotions can be very easy to sense or express, and then there are introverts who just prefer to leave the limelight to the extroverts (although, me, I'm an ambivert, which is the middle ground there). But even so, the bulk of the time, your own mind, in all its departments and whatever its colour, is something you know and understand like nobody else. And that is a form of knowledge as powerful than any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment