Monday 12 September 2016

The Paralympics: equal abilities, less attention.

Virtually all of us could name a few Olympic champions immediately, were it asked of us. And most of them deserve that (I say "most" there because of all the ones who've doped). But how about Paralympic champions? I have Asperger's and admittedly I can name just two: Aussie track great Louise Sauvage and, for better or worse, Oscar Pistorius. I think that speaks volumes about how little attention we and the media give to nearly everything regarding disability and sport.


Image result for paralympics games
Now, I know the Olympic Games far predate the Paralympics (which debuted in Rome, 1960) and I watched quite a lot myself of the action in Rio. But that's sort of my point: I could see far more of them on television than the Paralympics. And I appreciate free-to-air Australian TV networks and the rest of our media covering them as much as they are. But they could all still do far more. Especially since in London our Paralympians won more medals than out Olympians.

Or should the two Games be combined as much as possible? That could work, despite the equipment for some events having to be altered, let's face it. Because both Games have never just been about sport. They are a chance for the whole world, as I've said before, to show, however briefly, unity and goodwill, and for every able-bodied kid who idolizes an Olympian, there is surely a kid with a disability whose hero is a Paralympian.

Now, growing up I was never the sporty type, but during those years I was largely ostracized due to my condition, like it was an insurmountable brick wall. I now know it wasn't and isn't, but I'm sure there are kids (and maybe even adults) with disabilities now who can't shake that thought. We are not perfect. Nobody is. But we ARE equal, and it is well past time that was accepted and acknowledged everywhere. Not least of all in sport.

Image result for disability pride



No comments:

Post a Comment