Wednesday 28 June 2017

Brain-drain!

The human brain carries one powerful truth: it's the organ we understand the least. Why does it remain so enigmatic? Do we really need to understand it? Nobody could function without it, and it can certainly be over-used. Nothing specific has influenced this entry for me, either; I'm just in a very pensive mood (and I acknowledge this entry may be pretentious). I also don't want this to be just a filler entry. I want it to stimulate and pleasantly provoke. Just how well do we all know our own brains?


Image result for neurology


I've battled mental illness and read every Lisa Genova novel, but that's about the extent of my neurological expertise. But those life experiences and artistic influences can spur us on and broaden our horizons nonetheless, right? They mightn't necessarily change the coding of our brains, but I feel they do give it more numbers. And our brains feed us even more than vice versa.

Image result for idea 

Which brings me to the concept of the idea. Stevie Wonder, a key influence of mine, writes in the liner notes of his album Songs in the Key of Life: "An idea to me is a formed thought in the subconscious, the unknown and sometimes sought-for impossibles, but when believed strong enough, can become a reality." The world of ideas may be quite overwhelming, but when we bank on our ideas they can give us an unmistakably loud voice.

What we express with that voice is, of course, another matter for our brains, along with our hearts. And overthinking can be hazardous, too (as Stevie Wonder also said, "Superstition ain't the way!") But our brains and the ideas they provides start a ripple effect like nothing else. That's what makes the brains humanity's greatest weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment