Friday 1 March 2019

The 91st Academy Awards: four VERY hard pills for me to swallow.

As I may have already revealed here, as a congenital movie buff I've closely followed the Oscars since childhood, however much I've disagreed with the winners over the years. So naturally on Monday morning, I inevitably woke early to watch them live at midday Australian time. But all things considered, very rarely have I been so disappointed with the winners as I was this time. Four such ones contributed alone to that, and two were in the major categories, and while I do respect the Academy members' opinions, let me vent here and now about those wins.

Firstly, they awarded four Oscars to Bohemian Rhapsody. Never mind how anachronistic that movie is if you're up with Queen's history as I consider myself; it quite directly suggests Freddie Mercury's bisexuality led to his death. His behaviour may have done that, but not his sexuality per se. Plus during its production, the director Bryan Singer was revealed to have preyed for years on underaged males; I myself read an article (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/) detailing the allegations against him, and I was profoundly disturbed. He also had quite public conflicts with crew members while making the movie. Furthermore, Best Actor winner Rami Malek (who, for credit where it's due, delivered a dazzling performance) referred to Freddie as gay during his acceptance speech and has distanced himself from condemning Singer's conduct.

Secondly, winning Best Picture was Green Book. I hated every minute of that film, because of its story and themes. To my mind, it was just Driving Miss Daisy 2.0 with a thuggish Italian American taking a passive and subservient African American through the Deep South of the 1960s and always having to guide him and save him from trouble. I found it so earnestly racist that I left the cinema wanting to puke, and its director, Peter Farrelly, has been known to expose himself to his casts and crews. I think it's already one of the worst "Best" Pictures ever.

Thirdly, Lady Gaga winning Best Original Song for A Star Is Born. Now, I have never doubted her talent, but I consider her nothing but a shameless Madonna wannabe (and I like very few of Madge's songs). Regardless, as an established pop star she did not even financially need to be recruited for that movie, particularly over so many struggling female musicians (and her co-star was already a box office heavyweight anyway). Both when she performed and won, I hit my TV's mute button and let the expletives fly.

Finally, and least importantly but most personally for me, six-time previous loser and strong favourite this time for her superb performance in The Wife, Glenn Close, lost to Olivia Colman for what I considered collosal overacting in The Favourite. Maybe I was just being too confident in Ms. Close, but her loss here upset me so much I banged my head twice on my table. In fairness to Colman she gave a nice speech, but I sincerely and easily preferred Close's performance and as I said she was already long overdue. I'm beginning to think her surname may have placed a congenital curse on her. Well, Ms. Close, Oscar may not love you but I always will.

I greatly hope next year's Awards will be better. But that won't be hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment