Wednesday 20 May 2020

A remembrance and tribute, eight years overdue.

I can't think of how to start this entry, but start - and complete - it, I must. Today I was scrolling back through my Facebook memories when I found one from 2009 from a former high school friend of mine. But what puzzled and concerned me wasn't his message; it was how the word "Remembering" was above his name. That gave me a sinking feeling immediately, and so I clicked on his name and saw some of the posts people had made there. That was when I was saddened and very shocked to learn he had died, and not recently, either. It happened in 2012.

His name was Tayler, and he was just 24 when he passed; I don't know how. He was originally from New Zealand (in fact he was the first Kiwi I ever met) but in school he could keep up with us Aussie kids in every area like it was nobody's business. We were English classmates, and a sweeter and more laidback soul you could never hope to meet. Loyal and funny, too.

After Tayler moved away with his family once he and I both completed Year Nine in 2002, I never heard from him again (although I promise you I never forgot about him) until that Facebook message he sent me in '09 after adding me on there, which turned out to be the last time we'd ever speak. I'm glad we were able to reconnect just that once and that it had a happy tone, but I'm ashamed of myself for not knowing he had been gone all this time. Nobody ever told me, but I should've been more observant. But I suppose at least now I know why I hadn't heard from him in 11 years. And I know I'll hear from him again.

Rest in peace, Tayler, and I'll see you on the other side. Love always.

1988 - 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment