Saturday 16 May 2020

For Greta 2.0.

This week as you probably know already, Greta Thunberg has been back in the news after being named to an upcoming CNN town hall conference on the coronavirus. Cue the renewed slew of bullying social media memes about her. I know how inobjective this will sound even by my standards but I can't help but feel protective of her since we both have Asperger's. What's your excuse?

That doesn't mean I think she's never misbehaved; everybody has. And I can understand how her no-nonsense, in-your-face attitude may be off-putting for some. But the fact that she has been ecologically concerned - or at least claims to have been - since she was just eight years old and is now so publicly leading a crusade for it at 17, to my mind, shows real sincerity, no matter how academically qualified she might or mightn't be.

However, since her focus until now has been climate change which is a scientific matter, I do have to question why Greta has been summoned to a conference on one more of medicine than science. I hope she will give me an answer for that - and more so, that she will keep at what she's doing and show all her detractors.

No comments:

Post a Comment