Wednesday 13 July 2016

Inspiration... where do you come from?

(Written on 10/07)

I don't know exactly what to write about today, but I feel I should still put pen to paper. Why does anybody really do anything anyway? I'm on a bus currently, in a calm, contemplative mood, and I genuinely like writing, particularly in contexts like this. You can do it any time, anywhere. And come to think of it, I sense many famous writers didn't know what to write about when they began writing any one of their works. Filmmaker Federico Fellini turned his struggles to bring one of his projects to life into his most famous movie, 8 1/2 (not that I've seen any of them, though).

But maybe sometimes you don't need a specific subject or idea in order to be creative and/or successful. What if the piece ITSELF became the subject or idea, after the fact? And if you do intend all along, consciously, to convey a message or push buttons, could this just feel forced or make it vulnerable to over-analysis? I really don't know. But I'm not sure I want to either. I'm sure most other creative types would echo my sentiment that I feel I don't have to explain my work to anyone. It should be self-explanatory, and everybody having their own reactions to and interpretations of it is simply a fair entitlement for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment