Thursday 7 September 2017

The Windsors: here they go again... (Reader discretion is advised.)

I've always been a republican. At least, I have ever since I became conscious of world events and whatnot. I even remember, at age 11, expressing support to one of my teachers at school for the Australian republican cause during the 1999 referendum campaign. (Nonetheless, its loss then brought one good thing: John Howard not becoming President. I hated him just as Prime Minister and still do.)

So you can imagine my frustration on Tuesday night (Aussie time) when the news came through of William and Kate expecting baby number three. While I'm sure many other, here and overseas, were cracking the champagne open (and to each their own), I was fucking fuming. I really have nothing against the royals personally (except maybe Philip), or the British overall for that matter, but the pure fact is: THEY ARE NOT AUSTRALIAN. Plus, Wills and Kate already had an heir AND a fucking spare! Am I the only one anywhere who finds this both redundant and fundamentally irritating? They have very little (if any) governmental or social influence even in the fucking UK!

I don't just want them gone from Australia. I want the Union Jack removed from our flag, the Queen removed from our money and for Australia (and ESPECIALLY my state, Queensland, as we're hosting them next year) to never have anything at all to do with the Commonwealth Games ever again. And I want all of that now. That's all I have to say about the monarchy, and I will never apologise for any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment