Wednesday 24 August 2016

Let's just see where this one goes..

A topic (or topics) can provide a good framework for an article, but I feel you can use that approach so much it becomes rather safe. So, for the first time, I'm going to totally wing a blog entry. But in the spirit of that I'll try to avoid any references to flying creatures (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Objectivity and impartiality are not virtues of mine. I've learned that, for better or worse, from several employment experiences. But I am an emotional person; increasingly so, it actually seems. Several news stories over the last year or so have enraged or deeply moved me, appropriately, and while seeing Finding Dory theatrically I got quite choked up, I don't mind telling you. But there's just something so cathartic and liberating about releasing those emotions openly sometimes, and come to think of it, that literally just now has given me an idea to cover here: how openly expressing our emotions can be helpful.

Our emotions and their sources can be very personal, intimate things. I get that, and I'm a gift to shrinks but not a shrink. And before I forget again, I apologise if any of this feels patronising.

In a few senses (no pun intended, believe it or not) I'm thankful for my ASD and anxiety issues, because otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't know as much about why my brain works as it does, and I wouldn't be as sensitive about such issues in a social or political context. That's why I want to do everything I can, even if I'm just an average citizen, to help us all win the fight.

Now, I do mean this for everybody, but because as a man I am expected widely, even today, to be stoic and suppress my emotions, I want to say, especially to fellow males: if you express your sadness or anger et cetera, especially publicly, you'll be showing courage, which is equally good as stoicism. That's no less true for women, but at least from my experience, women don't face high expectations of stoicism as much. Finally, to everybody: if someone mocks or ostracises you for losing it (in whatever way), that says much more about them. Plus, you are never alone, and discussing your issues with a suitable person can work wonders. For all parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment