Saturday 13 August 2016

Trying to get a sense of the Census!

So another Census is now done and dusted, with a news hashtag in tow, and who can say yet what it will tell about Australia in 2016? This one also marked the 50th anniversary of census Down Under. The first one I remember hearing about was in 2001, when I was 13, which was also the year the Jedi census trend regarding religion took off, starting in New Zealand. But while I'd love to discuss Star Wars literally all day as you know, I have currently more pressing debts.

What does it really mean to be an Australian in 2016? Where are we heading? Between 1945, when World War II ended, and 2000, we had just five changes of federal government. Since 2000, we've had SIX changes of prime minister. And whichever party you support, odds are they've caused a national scandal or two. Add to the mix Clive Palmer, whose ego could outweigh Jupiter and whose gut, let's face it, isn't much smaller, and Bob Katter, a man so right-wing even the Tories don't want to know him, both having established successful minor parties. As has, come to think of it, Derryn Hinch, whose liver donor I especially now feel so sorry for. And of course, this year we've even voted back into the Senate the lovely and bigoted Pauline Hanson. I am thankful these few only represent a portion of Australians, but we can be far better.

But beyond the politicians, I suspect Census 2016 will show a much greater urban than rural population. I don't actually know how to feel about that. As I've said in a previous post I prefer city life; it's just usually more my taste, although I do savour the seclusion of the country occasionally. But without our farmers we die, and some things just don't need to spread or modernise. Looking forward is important, but we can never forget our cultural heritage.

A census is a snapshot of a whole nation, together, at one time. It is an immediate, permanent historical record. So if you're yet to do yours, put as much thought into it as possible. And by Census 2021, I hope Australia has improved considerably. That includes how the Census is run.

No comments:

Post a Comment