Thursday 31 May 2018

On the current Roseanne fiasco.

By now you've probably heard the American Broadcasting Company has axed their reboot of Roseanne after less than one season after Roseanne Barr Tweeted a racist joke about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett. Having read it myself I concur with the backlash and her network's decision (despite its ramifications for all her colleagues), but it's proven quite thought-provoking for me.

I know Barr's always been a comedian, and comedy is meant to push buttons, plus she is entitled to hold and express her opinions. But having a provocative sense of humour as I also do, even I concede there are lines you should be very careful about crossing. Nonetheless, I think very many of us need to remember that offensiveness is very subjective, whether due to culture, personal experiences and beliefs or even just taste. And come to think of it, had she stated outright that it was just a joke she might've dodged this bullet. But she brazenly posted the joke in what appeared a sincere manner, and then added insult to injury by claiming she did so while under the influence of Ambien, which she'd taken for insomnia. (Ambien's makers replied with a priceless claim that racism isn't a side-effect of their drug.)

Also, would this have been such a scandal had her show not recently been revived? It surely would've made some waves, but none that would've washed ashore so heavily, I don't think. Anyway, I also don't think it's exactly surprising as Barr had been an open Trump supporter. I feel sorry for all her co-stars and crew (many of whom have subsequently condemned her joke and views on Twitter themselves), and I hope their careers survive this. But I conclude with reiterating the reminders to society overall which I just issued.

No comments:

Post a Comment