Thursday 17 May 2018

The dress now has its auditory equivalent.

Image result for the dress



I'm sure you remember in 2015 when the photo of that dress went viral worldwide. It colour scheme divided viewers like politics does: was it black and blue or white and gold? Personally, I think it was just fucking ugly but regardless, now there's another viral meme provoking a similar reception.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/yanny-or-laurel?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeedoz&ref=bffbbuzzfeedoz&utm_term=.sxoJvVV9r#.ebkbJqq14

For some it says "Yanny," for others it says "Laurel." Just for the record I'm in the latter camp, and these phenomena shouldn't distract from more newsworthy ones like topical events, but they do actually say something quite deep and scientific about humanity. They emphasise just how subjective our individual neurology and perception can be.

I think taste plays into it. If you heard on the radio some song you hated simply because of its genre you might consider it superficial or manipulative, but somebody else whose fancy it did tickle would naturally find it enormously meaningful. Alternatively, if you ran through it with a fine-tooth comb, you miss the point for that different reason or discover in it something unintentional (for better or worse). And sometimes, most of us see and hear simply what we want to.

Anyhow, I don't want to stretch this out and be pretentious or claim to know what I'm talking about as I don't. Nor do I particularly intend to get something out of this because it's trending. I like being a nonconformist. Its underlying questions just simulated me because of my neurological conditions - and I hope my answers have stimulated you.

No comments:

Post a Comment